The average person spends almost one-third of their life in bed– making it incredibly important to choose a non-toxic mattress and bedding. Time spent sleeping is time when tissues and cells regenerate, the immune system is strengthened and the brain repairs itself. It’s also when our hormone systems regulate – which is essential for controlling cortisol levels, keeping stress levels in check.
Creating the healthiest sleep environment is critical, and choosing natural bedding is an important first step. Here are 10 reasons to switch to hemp bedding:
- Unlike synthetic materials that can leave you too hot or too cold, hemp helps regulate body temperature – adjusting to keep you comfortably warm or cool.
- Hemp naturally wicks moisture away from your body, so you don’t ever wake up feeling clammy.
- Textiles made from hemp are naturally anti-bacterial and circulate air– so bedding is much less likely to harbour bacteria than synthetic fabrics.
- Bedding made from hemp is safer for sensitive skin, since it’s not processed with harsh chemicals or detergents.
- Because it’s grown without pesticides, there’s no harmful residues that remain in the weave of the fabric. So it’s not only healthier for the planet, but also for you.
- Natural, non-toxic bedding is especially important for babies and children– to limit their exposure to toxins during important developmental stages.
- Hemp sheets are naturally wrinkle-resistant. Sheets labeled "wrinkle-free," "easy care," or "permanent press” are often treated with formaldehyde resin—a known carcinogen.
- It’s better for your lungs. Synthetic fabrics often contain chemical residues from pesticides, dyes, formaldehyde, phthalates and more– which you breath in during deep sleep.
- Strong hemp fibers mean sheets are more durable–lasting through many washes and only get softer and more luxurious with age.
- It’s healthier for workers around the world. An estimated 1-3% of cotton workers are affected with acute poisoning from the chemicals used on crops. It’s also healthier for wildlife– which are poisoned by pesticide runoff from conventional farming practices.
De-Toxify Your Bedroom
While bedding is probably the most important way to de-toxify your sleep, it's important to think holistically with your entire space in mind. Here are a few more tips for making your bedroom a healthier environment, designed for deep and restorative rest:
- Add houseplants, to help purify the air.
- Cover all screens, electronics and digital devices that emit light.
- Select diffusers or non-toxic room sprays for relaxing scent.
- Keep it quiet by soundproofing walls.
- Choose a non-toxic mattress (we like Avocado Mattress)
- Top with non-toxic, natural bedding (like our 100% Hemp sheets)
- Try blackout curtains to block artificial light from outside, like street lights and headlights.
- Use an air purifier to remove dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, mold spores, and other airborne pollutants.
Jung Dreaming Playslist
Preparing your body for a good night's sleep starts way before your head hits the pillow. Help your brain and body wind down throughout the evening by wearing blue blocker glasses and listening to mellow tunes. We compiled a Spotify Playlist of our favorites for you here.